Saturday, May 18, 2019

Sabbatical III: Auckland and Meeting Mt. Goldsmith

Thursday 5/18: A recovery day in Auckland – time to see the city for the first time since 2001.  Seemed wise to be somewhat coherent before heading south-southeast across North Island to Napier to the Hawkes Bay Marathon.  I woke up well before dawn; a 5 km running tour of the waterfront seemed about right, lest I be stiff and pathetic for the race.  I ran past a restored 19th century sailing ship just as it disgorged about two dozen or so sleepy teens, who must have been on a learning trip.  I crossed paths with them twice further on.

After breakfast, I joined the daily Auckland Free Walking Tour, led daily by volunteers.  I wanted to do at least one thing where I’d be hanging out with people, rather than moving around solo.  The tour turned out to be an excellent 2.5 hour wander through downtown, attended by visitors from Australia, Chile, the USA (besides me), Ireland, and the UK.  Louise, the guide, gave us a good introduction to Kiwi history overall as well as the story of Auckland, starting with the first Maori arrivals in the 12th century up to the present.  Fun information too, such as explaining that the red neon along a certain alley was a nod to its past as the red light district and pointing out the local boutique that wardrobes the Prime Minister:

She wore the black dress this week.
Louise was also a proud New Zealander who was also clear-seeing about the country’s imperfections.  We had an interesting discussion about native peoples, contrasting how the Maori, Australian Aboriginals, and Native Americans have fared.  I was very impressed by her sense that there is a clear NZ national identity, and some consensus about how they want to be “go their own way” as nation in the world.  As presented, this was a pretty “blue” center-left perspective, which sounded good to me.  Also quite refreshing after living with the tiring discord that rules the USA. 

She also gave us the demographics of the country: 10% Maori, 20% Pacific Islander, 20% Asian (including the Indian subcontinent) the rest some variety of Caucasian.  This diversity was apparent as I wandered Auckland.  It was also clear that the latest generation of Kiwis is hybridizing, an observation that Louise confirmed.  A couple other people observations: 1) people don’t make constant eye contact here, as they do in California; 2) I have no seen anyone who is severely to morbidly obese; and 3) everyone has been friendly, helpful, and interested in my trip.  These are first impressions, we'll see how they hold up as I travel. 

Not surprisingly, Auckland has changed a bit since 2001.  Then, Queen Street and adjacent parallel streets were pretty much the main CBD.  The area is canyon-like; narrow street, tall buildings, wide awnings over shops, which range from cheap junk for tourists to upscale brands.  Somehow, it had a hodgepodge, slightly dingy feel.  This has not changed, although the shops are modern – no Starbucks then.  What has changed is an abundance of well-planned development (housing, tech businesses, boutiques, ubiquitous expresso bars, and swanky cafes) in the areas around Queen Street.  Nice to walk and run through.  Louise said that this development has given Auckland the same housing issues facing the Bay Area; high prices, limited affordable stock, with attendant social problems.  Here are a couple pictures of the city:

The waterfront at night.
Lights in the sidewalk.
After lunch, I took the commuter ferry to Devonport, a suburb across the harbor from the city, which every travel source categorically described as “quaint, charming, and picturesque “.  Nice to be on the water, not to mention the city view:


Devonport was as advertised; luscious well-kept Victorian housing and shops along the waterfront.  But I didn’t need stuff.  So I walked along the beach to Torpedo Bay, which is home to the museum of the Royal New Zealand Navy (the main RNZN base is further west).  This small facility told the story of New Zealand’s handful of ships, their crews, and their global adventures, from World War I through the present.  Great ship models and artifacts, such as the piupiu, a Maori skirt presented to the captain of the battlecruiser HMRNS New Zealand, which fought in European sea battles in World War I.  The captain was to wear the necklace during battles to protect the crew and ship.  He did.  It worked; they even got through the Battle of Jutland with no casualties.  It was rewarding to plug these stories into my broader knowledge of history, adding this non-American perspective.  Just like the morning tour, there was a strong sense of Kiwi identity to the exhibits.  There was also a powerful memorial to sailors lost at sea: 


Friday May 18: Time to leave Auckland.  An Uber to Mad Campers, where I had a reservation for 15 day rental.  A  nice welcome by Amy, an hour of espresso-fueled, thorough orientation and a test drive.  My campervan is a 2012 Nissan – well, egg-shaped thing, named Mt. Goldsmith (one of the adjacent peaks to Mt. Cook on South Island, yes, I knew that), whom I think I will call MG for short.  MG’s interior has been very cleverly customized.  Rather than describe it, I will point you to this Mad Campers overview.

We set off.  MG is not my e-Golf.  He will be fine for this trip, but I may get tired of the somewhat springy ride, engine that tries hard but isn’t quite enough, noisy ride, and driving something with aspirations to be a sail.  I am not complaining.  I fit in the bed.  The paint job screams tourist, which makes me feel safer in traffic.

Setting off was the five and a half hour drive, call it 450 kilometers, to Napier.  South out of Auckland sprawl into agricultural Waikato.  Working lands – crops, animals, and eventually endless tree farms and their evil twin, clear cuts.  Only rare bits of native flora.  Windy.  We gradually climbed to Taupo, sited on the shores of Lake Taupo, a very large volcanic caldera.  This is the land of geothermal action – more when I get back there. 

Of course, I am driving on the left.  I acclimate easily to this, given my tours of duty Down Under.  It was a little more exciting with MG as I got used to how to maintain situational awareness. I am already tired of navigating roundabouts, which appear to be a national obsession. 

From Taupo, I followed the Thermal Explorer Highway across the transpressional mountain spine of North Island.  I got used to pulling over so faster cars could pass me.  Highway in New Zealand means winding two lane road – the equivalent of the “Blue Highways” in America that William Least Heat Moon wrote about so well.  I was tired by now, up down, up down, pull over, listen to MG grind up the mountains.  The steeper parts of the drive were undeveloped – finally, large patches of native bush: tree ferns, acacias, bunch grasses, and many other things I don’t know.

Eventually down the coastal plain into Napier.  Found my hotel.  Hmm, MG would not fit in the car park.  The staff were lovely, and both figured out where I could park and took MG there for me.  It probably helped that I chatted with them for a while and that the manager was from Mississippi.  She was great.  A stroll through Napier to the Hawkes Bay Marathon/Half Marathon Expo, an Indian dinner, race prep, and bed.  Here's moon rise over the Pacific, with the Napier Fountain in the foreground:

No comments:

Post a Comment